Protesters took to the streets in Minneapolis for the fourth year in a row after police shot fatally

MINNEAPOLIS – Protesters took to the streets in Minneapolis for the fourth night in a row over the shooting of a black man by members of a US marshals’ task force.

Crowds marched Sunday evening in response to the fatal shooting of 32-year-old Winston Boogie Smith Jr. in the Uptown neighborhood of Minneapolis on Thursday.

WCCO-TV in Minneapolis and KSTP-TV in St. Paul report that around 100 people took part in the demonstrations on Sunday evening. There were no immediate reports of injuries or arrests as a result of the protests.

According to KSTP, 27 people were arrested during demonstrations on Friday after property damage was reported in the area. No looting was reported in connection with these demonstrations.

Authorities said Friday that Smith was wanted for a gun injury and fired a gun before two MPs shot him while he was in a parked vehicle. Because the shooting was related to the U.S. Marshal’s North Star Fugitive Task Force, MPs were not wearing body cameras when Smith was killed. The incident was also not recorded with patrol car dash cameras.

Smith’s family and friends call for transparency in the investigation.

Smith’s shooting was just the latest in a series of high profile deaths involving police officers in the Twin Cities area.

In April, 20-year-old Daunte Wright was shot dead by police at a traffic stop in Brooklyn Center, Minnesota. Department officials said the former officer who fired the fatal shot, Kim Potter, was about to fire a stun gun when Wright tried to escape but instead grabbed her gun. Potter faces manslaughter charges.

Wright’s death came while former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin was on trial for murder related to George Floyd’s death in police custody in May 2020. Chauvin, who kneeled on Floyd’s neck for more than eight minutes, was later convicted of murder and manslaughter. He will be sentenced later this year.

Comments are closed.